Job no: 538957
Work type: Fixed Term
Location: New South Wales
Classification: ANU Officer 4/5 (Technical)
Salary package: $65,101 - $78,411 per annum plus 17% Superannuation
Term: Full time, Fixed Term until June 2022
- Great work/life balance with dynamic team culture
- Four weeks annual leave per year, generous parental leave, plus a variety of salary packaging options
The Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics (RSAA) at the Australian National University (ANU) operates Siding Spring Observatory, Australia’s largest optical astronomical observatory.
The Observatory is situated on the border of Warrumbungle National Park in northern NSW, and is part of Australia’s first internationally recognised dark sky park. Over 40 telescopes, including Australia’s largest telescope, the Anglo-Australian telescope, are located at the Observatory.
At RSAA, we offer our professional staff a dynamic, flexible and safe working environment with excellent training and career development opportunities and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, inclusive team.
Based at the Observatory, the main responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Provide technical and software support for the telescopes and instrument systems, including programming.
- Undertake day to day operations and maintenance of the software systems at the Observatory and act as the secondary contact for all telescope software systems associated with telescopes and instrumentation.
- Ensure all instruments are maintained to a high standard and are ready for use on the telescopes as required by observers including provision of technical support to visiting scientists, supporting them to set up their instruments for observing runs and commissioning tests.
- Assist in maintaining and testing instrumental performance.
- Participate as a team member on instrument changes, aluminising and setting telescope to work for observing on a day to day basis.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders, organisations, clients or contractors on technical matters related to the software systems at the Observatory.
- Support the preparation of reports for advisory and user committees providing data on technical issues associated with technical equipment at the Observatory.
- Undertake shifts on the night assistant roster and help train new night assistants.
We are looking to hire a person that has had recent experience working in a scientific environment. You will need to have:
- An associate diploma or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and education/training.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, maintain and support a broad range of telescope equipment, software and instrumentation within a scientific environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well-developed organisational skills with demonstrated experience working to deadlines, prioritising work, and using initiative and judgement in achieving outcomes.
- An understanding of current technologies in instrumentation and telescopes is desirable
To see what the Science at ANU community is like, we invite you to follow us on social media at Instagram and Facebook.
For more information about the position please contact A/Prof Chris Lidman on T: +61 2 6125 0238 or E: email@example.com
The Australian National University is a world-leading institution and provides a range of lifestyle, financial and non-financial rewards and programs to support staff in maintaining a healthy work/life balance whilst encouraging success in reaching their full career potential. For more information, please click here.
ANU Values diversity and inclusion and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to those of all backgrounds and identities. People with a disability are encouraged to apply. For more information about staff equity at ANU, click here.
In order to apply for his role, please make sure that you upload the following documents:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria, and
- A current curriculum vitae (CV).
Please note the successful applicant must have rights to live and work in this country
Position Description & Selection Criteria
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now